Monday, July 27, 2009

July 25th

This day was our second day in London. It was much more eventful that the first. We got up around 9:30 so that we could get ready and go to the Nottinghill Market. Apparently they do a big outdoor market on Saturday’s that’s one of the most popular ones in the surrounding area. People come from all around London and the smaller towns in and around it to shop at this market, so we thought it would be a lot of fun to go. We took more time than we planned getting ready, and didn’t actually make it to Nottinghill until about 11:30. We weren’t in much of a hurry though. When we got there it was so packed. We walked down Portobello Road, and the market is near the end of the road. We split into smaller groups, and I stayed with Julia and Amanda, and we didn’t actually make it to the market until after 1. Instead, we found really fun, cheap shopping on the way to the market. We found a couple clothing stores where everything was 5 pounds, so about $8. I got a pair of shoes and a shirt, and Julia and Amanda got quite a few shirts and some shoes. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, these were very small stores, leaving no room for fitting rooms, so we just had to try stuff on over our clothes in the middle of the store and look in mirrors…it was quite the experience. We eventually made it down to the market . . . I think (I’m not sure if we made it to the actual market, or just more stores that had stuff set outside), and it wasn’t as interesting as I thought it would be. There were some cool things to look at, like little antiques and trinkets, but nothing that I would really want to buy. And there wasn’t as much stuff as I expected, which is kind of what leads me to believe that we didn’t make it to the actual market. But it was still a lot of fun, nonetheless. This was the first time on the trip that I had actually gone shopping, so it was nice to just go around with a couple girls and try on ridiculous amounts of clothing. After Nottinghill, we headed over to Shakespeare’s Globe, again crossing the Millennium Bridge, which made us think of Harry Potter. Our plan was to get tickets to As You Like It for that night, but when we got there we found out that it’s not like the other theaters where you can buy tickets the day of. Apparently, they usually sell out weeks if not months before the night of the show. Luckily, we were able to get tickets for Monday, August 3rd, so we’ll be able to go then. Our tickets are standing tickets, so we’ll have to stand for almost 3 hours, but they were only 5 pounds, and I don’t think it will be that bad. The play will make it go by quicker. After the Globe, I walked with Julia and Amanda down to Tower Bridge. They were going through the Tower of London, so I walked with them to there and then got on the subway. (Dad, I know you’re reading this, and don’t worry, I was safe. I stayed in populated areas and I was only by myself for about an hour. :) ) I took the subway to Kennington and transferred onto a different line to go to Leicester Square. I grabbed some lunch and went shopping for a few minutes (finally bought a sweater!), and then headed home. I was planning on going out to dinner with a couple of girls later in the evening, but they ended up going to a musical, so I just stayed in for the night. It was another really slow day, but it was actually a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment